I recently needed to migrate a single server SQL 2005 B.I. solution from one box to another. One problem was that the report folder structure, permisisons and so on had been customised quite a lot so the best choice was to simply move the database across to the new server.
This can be achieved as follows:
1. Backup the ReportServer database on the source server
2. Backup your encryption key on existing installation with the Reporting Services Configuration Manager tool found in the SQL Server 2005 | Configuration Tools folder under Windows Start Menu. Place it somewhere you can easily locate it later.
3. Install reporting services on a new server and restore the ReportServer database. You don’t need to restore the tempdb.
4. Run the Reporting Services Configuration Manager tool on this new server.
5. Solve any issues you see, configure to run under a domain account with a strong password (as per best practice), and then on Encryption Keys step, restore the key you saved in above step.
Once i had completed this i had a problem, because the target reportserver had already been configured and initialised. The specific error was: Scale-out deployment is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services. (rsOperationNotSupported)
Some research led me to learn about issues with multiple encryption keys in Standard Edition.. and Chuck’s post pointed me to the RsKeyMgmt command line util to fix up my problem.
A simple fix which resulted in my ReportServer database being moved across successfully.